Deputy Clerk |
Date Issued: July 2, 2019
The Village of Horseheads is seeking applicants for the position of DEPUTY CLERK.
VACANCY: At the present time, there is one full time opening. This is a non-competitive title; therefore, no Civil Service examination is required.
SALARY: Starting Annual Salary Range ($31,200 - $33,150) based on 35 hour work week including a generous benefit package
RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT: Candidates must have been legal residents of Chemung or a contiguous (Schuyler, Steuben, Tompkins) County for at least one month immediately preceding the date of application.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE POSTION: This administrative position involves Utility Billing and the responsibility for assisting the Village Clerk-Treasurer by performing a number of varied accounting and administrative tasks. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Village Clerk-Treasurer with leeway allowed for the exercise of independent judgment in carrying out details of the work, which involves responsibility for all functions of the Clerk-Treasurer’s Office in the absence of the Clerk-Treasurer. Other duties as assigned.
Complete final utility bills and transfers
Export data from utility billing
Import and export between the meter reader and utility billing system
Verify reads for accuracy
Perform complex payroll transactions or may prepare payroll for entire department and prepare all related reports;
Correct demand meter reads, calculate bills, make adjustments, print bills and shut-off letters, sort and mail bills;
Generate miscellaneous invoices for health insurance, water haulers, etc.
Reconcile bank statements
Receive and post payments from mail and walk-ins
Answer and transfer calls
Field and direct resident concerns
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Good knowledge of current general and governmental principles, practices and terminology of accounting, financial administration and budgeting;
- Excellent computer literacy is a must.
- Ability to develop complex accounting worksheets and financial reports.
- Good knowledge of computer applications such as word, excel and Office 365;
- Thorough knowledge of office terminology, procedures and equipment; Ability to prioritize in a fast-paced work environment;
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relations with others; Ability to maintain confidentiality where required;
- Ability to perform close detail work involving considerable visual effort and strain; Honest, courteous and tactful;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position. Ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written instructions;
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relations with the public and other governmental and private agencies;
- Good judgment in solving complex clerical and administrative problems;
- Performs related work necessary for the efficient execution of administrative functions of the Village Office.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: A. Graduation from an accredited college or university with an Associate’s Degree in Accounting and one year of experience in an accounting position. OR B. Graduation from high school or possession of an equivalency diploma and three years of accounting experience which includes payroll, general ledger, accounts receivable and accounts payable.
HOW TO APPLY: Submit an Application for Employment by mail, or drop off to: Village of Horseheads, Att: Donna Dawson, 202 S. Main St. Horseheads NY 14845
LAST DATE TO FILE: Applications accepted until vacancy is filled. Successful candidates must pass background check and drug screening.
Organization: Village of Horseheads
Name: Donna Dawson
Phone: (607) 739-5691